In these very early stages of parenthood, I have discovered many, many things. Most of it advice, whether I wanted it or not but this is what I have learnt so far…
1. No matter how much you try to not let it bother you, the looks you get when your baby has a meltdown will get to you.
2. No matter how much you try, nothing will stop said meltdown.
3. EVERYONE will know what is wrong with YOUR baby. Not you, his MOTHER, but the stranger in Boots.
4. Old women will coo like mad over your baby and be compelled to touch him. This actually does my head in a little.
5. You will always feel guilty asking for help or for a nap.
6. You will never enjoy that nap.
7. Its completely normal to class getting dressed, having a pee and brushing your teeth as a record breaking challenge; you have to do everything at break neck speed.
8. You realise that as soon as you say something like ‘oh they sleep through the night now’; that they will stop doing it. Ditto leaking nappies and drinking from a bottle.
9. Speaking in a funny voice has actually taken over your regular voice and on more than one occasion you will answer the phone with said silly voice.
10. No matter how hard it feels sometimes or how tired you are or disgusting you feel, you would have another baby tomorrow.
God, this is only just the start.
Today, you are 100 days old.
In the grand scheme of things, thats not that old. But to your Father and I it is something very special.
Lots of things have changed, progressed and pennies have dropped. You are becoming a little boy.
Its amazing how much you chatter away, you sometimes even try to mimic us especially when Daddy shouts ‘woo hoo’. That really tickles me and talking of tickling, you give such a belly laugh when I blow raspberries on the side of your tum.
Best. Noise. Ever.
It’s a wonder how I ever get anything done and some days I don’t, favouring snuggling or making you smile over the washing up.
You are in your cot now, and you seem be enjoying it. You love your little room.
I’m staying with you to make sure you’re ok, but truthfully its more for me than you. I can’t bear to be away from you in the night. You are such a big boy though you don’t even know I’m there, I’m sure that is a good thing…
You’re are also taking a bottle, bit by bit in preparation for when I go back to work, but the less said about that the better.
In many ways you are independent and in others you just want Daddy or I. You still want to fall asleep in our arms and quite frankly we are happy to do that. But we can also leave you in your cot talking to your mobile friends. I always wonder what you talk about. You are a little gossip I bet. Oh and your still not keen on the monkey.
You’ve met some new friends and have been enchanted by some girl babies, you terrible flirt. I’ll let you do it for now, but remember you are not allowed to have any girlfriends until you are at least 35.
I’ll sign off now my petal.
I’m so proud of you I could cry.
And now I am.
Keep growing strong,
Love you always